My Greatest Weakness

| On
Monday, July 06, 2015
"What is your greatest weakness?"

Whenever I would go into an interview, I would dread the time this question rolled around. No matter how many articles I would read about interview tactics, I never really know how to answer it. Should I choose a weakness that can be flipped into a strength? Should I highlight a weakness that I am currently working on adjusting? Either way, I always end up giving a generic answer that doesn't really please either party.

I've done a lot of thinking lately, and I believe I have discovered my greatest weakness.

I often get carried away. I don't mean just some daydreaming here and there. I mean, full on in-depth planning for futures that often never come about. When I was on the job hunt, after finding a job that I was going to apply for and submitting the application, I would spend hours getting carried away. I would research apartments in the area, check out nearby gyms, coffee shops, restaurants, and everything else. When I get ambitious about blogging, I spend hours and hours planning out new series, blog posts, and working on projects that never seem to come through. I often make such big plans and have such high expectations that I set myself up for failure.

While I am happy that I can be so inspired to commit to projects and plans so fully, I often wish that this fervor would last just a bit longer than it does. If I could trade my intense moments of inspiration for tiny sparks that last throughout the entire course of a project, I would. Unfortunately, that's not how I am programmed.

I think that acknowledging this about myself has helped me to set more realistic and achievable goals recently. For example, rather than push myself to publish a post every day, I'm starting out with the hope of just publishing once or twice a week for the time being. Rather than planning out an entire year of long distance runs, I'm working on getting back to my running one mile at a time.

When one of these planning moods hits me and I feel myself starting to get carried away, I try to listen to that little voice in the back of my head warning me against expecting too much of myself. There's no rush to get everything done and the best method for me is to take things one day at a time.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9