2015 Reading List

| On
Wednesday, February 04, 2015
With over a foot of snow on the ground and more on the way, now is a good time to stock up on some books and tuck in for a long night of reading. I originally planned on getting this post ready closer to the beginning of the year, but obviously we all know how well that went.

Sometimes after I finish a book I spend the next week or so scanning lists of books, trying some on for size only to find that I'm not enjoying the story. Sure I have a list on Goodreads a mile long of books that I want to read, but that doesn't always help me choose what I'm going to read next. Another issue I often run into is time. I don't always have the time to crack open a book in the evening or lounge around reading all day (even though that sounds amazing!). What I do have is a two-hour commute every day. Now, you'd think that this would automatically lead me to listen to all of my books as audio-books, but that simply doesn't work for me. Let me tell you from experience - not all audio-books are created equal. In general, I've found that I can't really listen to fictional audio-books unless the narrator does a really great job on voices and emotions. I much prefer listening to non-fiction memoirs or historical accounts on tape. One genre that works particularly well as audio-books - beach reads. You know, those short, simple books that are pure reading pleasure. Like reality television in book form. Taking all of these issues into mind, I, the lover of lists, thought that making a list of books that I wanted to read this year will help with this reading lull.

Fiction

          


// Dragonfly in Amber, Diana Galbadon
This is a little bit of a guilty pleasure mixed with my deep and profound love of any large book about history. I recently finished the first book in the Outlander series and am not ready to give up on these characters quite yet!
// The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell
When NPR's Book Concierge came out, no matter how I sliced it, this book kept popping up. I read the summary and was hooked.
// The Book of Strange New Things, Michel Faber
Similar to The Bone Clocks, this book kept popping up everywhere and curiosity made me add this one to the list.
// The Secret History, Donna Tartt
In all honesty, I'm adding this one to the list because I had such a hard time wading through Tartt's other book, The Goldfinch. I've heard that this book is a little easier to get through and a much more interesting story.
// Eleanor & Park, Rainbow Rowell
This book was all the rage a few years ago and I think now is the perfect time to see what all the fuss is about.

Non-Fiction



// The Swerve: How the World Became Modern, Stephen Greenblatt
Chalk this one up to my love of history and obsession with all things Roman. This one has been on my list for a while.
// The Disney Middles Ages: A Fairy-Tale and Fantasy Past, Tison Pugh
This book is purely catering to my fascination with medieval history and how it is represented in our daily lives. An entire book focused on the intersection of Disney and medieval history is just too tempting to pass up.
// China: A History, John Keay
My cousin gave me this book for Christmas and I have to give him props. This book (so far!) is amazing. Chinese history is something that I've had a tough time getting into, after spending so many years focusing solely on European history. This book is the perfect introduction and overview.
// Not That Kind of Girl, Lena Dunham
I am loving all of the memoirs that some of my favorite women are putting out. I loved Mindy Kahling's cheeky book, adored Tina Fey's Bossypants, and am in the middle of devouring Amy Poehler's book. I thought I'd add Lena Dunham's book to round out the group.
// Fourth and Long: The Fight for the Soul of College Football, John U. Bacon
You might not know it, but I love football - college, professional, you name it. I love the sport, the drama, the strategy. Unfortunately in the past few years this sport has come under a lot of scrutiny. I've heard amazing things about this book and can't wait to find out more about the sport that I love.

Unread for Too Long



The following books are pretty self-explanatory. Some of these books were gifts that I have yet to crack open. Others are books that I should have read much sooner. Still more are books that it seems like everyone else has read and loved, so it's about time that I did!

Easy Reads for the Car


I did a little research and found that these books have been pretty highly acclaimed for their audio-book narration! I'll definitely be checking these out on my commute from now on.
2 comments on "2015 Reading List"
  1. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a while ago since you've posted your books that you'll be reading, but I will say that two you have listed were ones I've read and loved. The Secret History was great! It's dense, but a really cool story. The Art of Racing in the Rain was one of my favorite books! It was recommended to me by a friend and I kicked myself for not reading it sooner. A wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9