Friday Five // Week 1

| On
Friday, January 02, 2015


I'm switching it up a bit with this one. One of my favorite types of posts that I read from bloggers is some sort of weekly round-up of things they found interesting, funny articles, and general miscellany from around the Internet. There's something to be said for learning about a person through reading what interests them. I've rounded up five things that I found interesting this week for you to check out! Expect to see more of these in the future!

One // Fitbit: New Year's Eve Celebration in Steps

Steps on New Year's | Fitbit Blog

I just upgraded my Fitbit from the Zip to the Flex, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase of hitting my step counts and tracking any data that I can. I saw this infographic on the Fitbit blog and though it was so cool! It shows the step activity of users split into three groups over the course of New Year's Eve. Even though the 20-somethings stayed more active until 4AM and the 70-somethings trickled off soon after midnight, the thing that struck me deeply was the drop in average steps per minute right at midnight. I know that in my house, C and I were standing in the living room, watching the ball drop on TV, and immediately after we danced to Auld Lang Syne. The data here shows that that's pretty much what everyone else wearing a Fitbit did too! What a cool use of data! And what a powerful thought that no matter what the age, people paused and celebrated the new year.

Two // Buzzfeed: 19 Resolutions That Are So Much Better Than Going on a Diet

Again, with the New Year's theme, this article resounded with some of my goals (not resolutions!) for the coming year. So much good advice going on in here! The gist is that diets rarely work. Eventually, whatever weight you lost on that fad diet will come back to haunt you. Instead, these tips offer up smaller, more reasonable goals to help lead to a more healthy lifestyle. Things like doing a 30-second plank every day and adding five seconds each week or eating vegetables with every meal or taking a yoga class once a week.

I don't claim to be a make-up expert or anything, but ever since I signed up for Birchbox I have definitely become a little more comfortable experimenting with my beauty routine and trying new products. I even bought a tube of red lipstick for special occasions! But really, Birchbox has completely changed my life. Not only do I love getting my samples every month, but I am always finding new tutorials to try out on the website. This one by Lo Bosworth came just in time for a New Year's date night with C. Who knew you could put cheek color and highlighter on before foundation? Seriously revolutionary in my mind.

Buzzfeed | 43 Most Romantic Lines from Literature

I have been loving Buzzfeed's community posts lately. I've contributed a few quotes to the list of the Most Beautiful Lines from Literature, but this one is just too beautiful not to share. If you've ever borrowed a book from me or taken a class with me (or looked at my Pinterest, for that matter), you'll know that I am obsessed with collecting quotes. The most random sentence can strike me and suddenly I'll remember it forever. This list has so many quotes that I've underlined in my copies of these classics, and plenty of new ones from books that are now on my Goodreads list!

Five // Neil Gaiman's New Year Wish

Neil Gaiman New Year's Wish | Equal Parts of a Whole

A friend of mine posted this quote on Facebook during the New Year's hubbub. It is a Neil Gaiman quote from 2012, and though it's a few years old at this point, I thought it was the most perfect wish for the new year - a year of magic, dreams, madness, love, and joy.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9