21 Days

| On
Sunday, January 04, 2015
Well, we're officially more than a few hours in to 2015 and I'm sure that several of you have already cheated on your New Year's Resolutions. I definitely binged on a little too much chocolate and watched a few too many episodes of Supernatural. The of the strangest part about New Year's to me is that once the clock strikes twelve and the calendar rolls over, suddenly you're supposed to be a completely new person. Whether it's starting a new fitness routine or just adding more vegetables to your plate at dinners, overnight your habits are supposed to shift completely.

Starting these new habits can be really hard! That's why I'm giving myself twenty-one days to ease in to my new goal of "DO". I think it's a pretty well-known saying, though I'm not sure how accurate it is, that it takes twenty-one days for a new habit to stick. I know I said that my resolution for 2015 is to "DO", but I do have some specific goals for myself this year.

One of these goals is to get back into running. I swear, I attempt to do this every year and I'm looking for new ways to motivate myself to stick with it.

Weather can be a serious de-motivator for me. Who wants to run on cold and rainy days? Since I live in Michigan where winters can be particularly brutal and running outside can be difficult and dangerous, I knew I needed to explore some gym options. I had a coupon for a Planet Fitness membership, so on New Year's Eve I decided to take the plunge and sign up. I went in, signed up, and hit the treadmill hard. I came home so totally energized and excited that I spent the whole day working on a realistic plan for the year. Obviously I'm only four days in, but so far everything is going really well! The real test will be sticking to my plan once I go back to work on Monday. Finding time to hit the gym between work, my two-hour commute, and playing with the puppy can be pretty difficult. But it's all about making it work, right? I might even have to become one of those crazy "morning people" again!

Another goal on my "DO" list is, obviously, this blog. I'm in the middle of brainstorming some posts and trying to get a handle on the layout and organization of the blog. I've been reading a TON of articles on post prompts, SEO tactices, and editorial calendars. I've read about bloggers who have posts scheduled over a month in advance. That seems totally nuts! Right now I'm more of the "fly by the seat of my pants and write posts while my dog literally runs circles around the living room" type of blogger. Maybe someday I'll get there.

We'll see how these goals are going sixteen days from now!
1 comment on "21 Days"
  1. 1. I LOVE that you are posting again! And so frequently. :)

    2. If you figure out to get workouts in with a 2 hour commute + work all day, please share! I am pretty sure I'll need to be getting up earlier too (even though I already get up pretty early) :( haha

    3. Re: Running -- my best motivator for last year was to join the beer running group! A bunch of my running friends are friends with the people who own a local brewery here in Btown and we meet there every Thursday for social running and (if you want) beer. I look forward to it all week (plus I can run on my own too if I want) and it really keeps me accountable to get at least one run a week in because there are people I really enjoy waiting for me there since we all run the same pace. So I go even if it is 5 degrees outside and snowing, or if I don't feel like it because I'm exhausted from the drive, or whatever. It's been the best thing and it ALMOST feels like DPU running again :) It is so nice to have a group thing too (for me at least it's better than just trying to run with one person) because there will always be someone to run with. Maybe see if there's something similar near you?

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9