Snow Way! It's a UMich Snow Day!

| On
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Something happened today that hasn't happened since the Great Blizzard of 1978.  Of course, I wasn't alive for that particular event, but I have been hearing about it all winter.  Everyone remembers the Blizzard of '78, and everyone will also probably remember the Polar Vortex of 2014.  Today, for the first time in thirty-six years, the University of Michigan cancelled classes.
Surface weather analysis of the Blizzard of '78.
You can read all about it in the Michigan Daily.  The Daily also collected some of the best reaction tweets from around the Twittersphere.  These are definitely worth a look.

Basically, University of Michigan is notorious for never cancelling classes, mainly because most students live on campus and it's easy for kids to walk to class.  That said, because spending even ten minutes walking outside in this cold can cause severe frostbite, the University wisely decided to take one for the team and give everyone a day off.  Well, not everyone.  The campus is still open, facilities are still running, so staff have to come in or take a vacation day...but that's another discussion entirely.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any fun snow day activities planned, mainly because it's -30 degrees outside with the wind chill and I have no desire to experience that.  Instead I'll spend my day camped out in front of the heater, catching up on homework and indulging in a little Netflix.
2 comments on "Snow Way! It's a UMich Snow Day!"
  1. I can't believe staff still have to come in or get penalized (taking unplanned PTO would make me furious, what a waste). It is just as unsafe for them and it is for the students! IU closed campus twice this month (so far) and we didn't have to go to work either. Good thing because I wouldn't have been able to get there anyway.

    Have fun with your day off!!! Stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The whole situation with staff makes me so upset. Michigan just needs to have better policies in place to deal with severe weather like this.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9