Travel Tuesday // Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

| On
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Phew, it has been a while since I've done one of these!  Before diving in to my first Travel Tuesday in a while, I wanted to share a link to one of my friend's blogs.  My friend Maria was inspired by my posts to start her own series of sharing photos.  Isn't she the sweetest?!  Check out her take on it in her Friday Photos series at Explore This City!

And now - get ready for some beautiful photos!

TT: Pictured Rocks 1

This past summer my family took a trip to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan for a family vacation.  It was pretty amazing and reminded me just how much I love the entire state of Michigan.  There's so much to offer and everything is beautiful - dunes, unsalted lakes, forests, cities, and an unimaginable amount of charm.  One day during our week-long stay in the woods we took a trip up to Munising and took an evening cruise along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  Above is a picture of Miner's Castle, a pretty famous spot along the lakeshore that offers some gorgeous views.

TT: Pictured Rocks 2

The cliffs are so beautiful, especially when the sun was just starting to go down.  The water was pretty still in Lake Superior and the whole family was ready for a leisurely cruise along the shoreline.  Along the way our tour guides would stop and share these funny stories or nicknames for the rocks.  They also shared with us why the rocks look like they've been painted.  Minerals in the soil make the rocks change colors.  Each color represents a different mineral - red and orange are iron, green and blue are copper, black is manganese, and white is lime.

TT: Pictured Rocks 4

There were all kinds of cool things to see along the way, like a rock formation shaped like an Indian Head to a tree whose only option to find water was to grow roots across a three foot gap to the mainland.  I would definitely recommend making a trip up to the Upper Peninsula to see the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  I promise, it's nothing like anything you've ever seen before.

TT: Pictured Rocks 5
2 comments on "Travel Tuesday // Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore"
  1. Ahh YOU are the sweetest!!! Thanks for the shout-out, chica! Your pictures are gorgeous and make me want to go back to Michigan stat :) (my favorite parts so far: everything about Lake Michigan, and seeing SteepleCase in the UP!) I am so happy for the return of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd love it! Seriously though - how great is Michigan?

    XOXO
    A

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9