Marathon Truth Time

| On
Monday, September 30, 2013
After a pretty rough weekend of getting my runs in and the shocking realization that the Chicago marathon is now less than two weeks away, I decided that I need to do a little reflecting.

After one of my runs I found myself venting to C about everything related to the marathon, going about a mile-a-minute: I'm going to be slow, I haven't done enough long runs, my training hasn't prepared me for the distance, I'm going to run slow and everyone is going to hate me, I didn't get my 20-miler in, I'm going to disappoint everyone...blah blah blah.  He stopped me suddenly and said, "Hold on.  Who are you running this marathon for?"  In that moment, I loved him more than I ever had.

He was so right.  My training had lost focus because I had lost focus.  I was more focused on getting a certain time, sticking with my friends, and hopefully qualifying for Boston.  I wasn't focused on the journey and the amazing things that even considering running Chicago had led me to do.  So, while I might be coming at Chicago a little more under-trained than I would want to be, I started a list of all of the things that I have accomplished in the past few months.
  1. Started running more regularly than I ever have since graduating from DePauw in 2011.  In fact, since I started training in June, there has only been one week where I didn't run at all, and it was due to an injury!  In fact, I've run at least once a week since the first week of April!
  2. Finished two races - a 5K and a half-marathon!  This is pretty great considering my last race before that was the Indy Mini-Marathon in 2011.
  3. Won my age group in a race, something I've never done before in my life.
  4. Extended my longest long run ever to a distance of 16 miles!
  5. Started trying sports gels.  Yes, this is a silly accomplishment, but something I've always been interested in learning more about.  Now I know how to properly fuel my body during a long run so I don't go quite so crazy mid-run!
  6. Explored new paths around my house, including running all the way to Ann Arbor and back on the Border to Border trail.
  7. Run around Mackinac Island.  Sure it might have only been an 8 mile run, but this is something that I've wanted to do for a while and I got it done even while we were on vacation!
  8. Knowing that this will not be my last marathon; it is only the first.  Any time that I get will be a marathon PR, and most people don't even make it that far.  Get to the finish line and celebrate, because you'll be a marathoner.  Plenty of time to BQ in the years to come.
There's a few that I've come up with so far.  Looking back on this list, I am very proud of everything that I have done in the past few months to prepare for Chicago.  For the next two weeks while I still prep (mentally and physically) for Chicago, I'm going to try to focus on all of the positive things that I have done.  I can't change my training, I can't make myself faster in the next two weeks.  What I can do is enjoy the experience, have faith in my big ol' legs and my heart, and meet my family at the finish line to celebrate.
3 comments on "Marathon Truth Time"
  1. Girl, you know that no matter what, we are all on your side cheering for you! Just the fact that you are RUNNING A FREAKING MARATHON is so inspiring and C is completely right - it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] Marathon Truth Time (equalpartsofawhole.wordpress.com) […]

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9