Duo at the Ledge 5K

| On
Monday, July 08, 2013
This weekend, along with celebrating America's birthday, my mother and I decided to spend Saturday morning sweating out a 5K with a few hundred other Michiganders.  Sure the morning was hot and we were tired from the celebrations of the holiday before, but we toughed it out and had a great time!


We ran the Duo at the Ledge 5K in Grand Ledge, Michigan.  It was a great race that ran mostly through city streets and along a large walking trail.  I was nervous because this race was my first race of any kind since I ran the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon in 2011.  That race was so great, but it was also over two years ago!  I was shooting for a sub-30 minute 5K because I just wasn't sure what I would be able to do.  Yes, I've been training for the marathon for a few weeks now, but sometimes life gets in the way of your long runs, or the weather is dangerous to run in, or any number of things gets in the way.  But Saturday morning, after the starting gun went off and I took my first few steps into the 5K, I remembered how great it was to race again.

I was texting with my long-distance training partner, AK, after the race about how great it felt to turn my legs over from training mode into racing mode - to kind of open up the proverbial tanks and let it all go.  I felt like I was back at DPU on the track, or at one of the many races that I ran in college or high school, flying down the homestretch towards a goal I had been working hard for.  It was awesome.

My race went great - started out a little fast because I was so excited, got bogged down a bit in the middle, but for the most part I stayed steady around 8 minutes/mile.  I had a great finish, like I always did in high school and college For a short girl, I've got a pretty big kick at the end.), and ended up with a final time of 24:57.  That time was way better than I was anticipating and was even good enough to win my age group (20-24) by more than a minute!


I am so happy that I decided to do this race.  Not only was it awesome to get to race with my mom (She did well too!  She set a new PR and is already planning on running another 5K at the end of the month when I do my half-marathon!  I'm so proud of her!), but it was just great to get one race out of the way.  Now that my first-race jitters are done and I remember what it's like, I feel much more prepared for the marathon coming up.  And the momentum from winning my age-group isn't hurting either!

Don't forget, you can follow my training on DailyMile (http://www.dailymile.com/people/AlanaG) or on RunKeeper (http://runkeeper.com/user/agdewitt)!  Be sure to friend me if you use any of those apps!

My next planned race is the Portland Relay for Life Half-Marathon in Portland, Michigan the day before I turn 25.  It'll be my last race in this age group and also a chance for me to improve my starting corral for the Chicago Marathon!

Are you doing any races this summer?  Let me know how your training is going in the comments!
2 comments on "Duo at the Ledge 5K"
  1. Yay!!! Congrats! :D You do have a huge kick at the end :) Cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] two races – a 5K and a half-marathon!  This is pretty great considering my last race before that was the Indy […]

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9