Eyes on Chicago

| On
Thursday, May 23, 2013
First of all, let me say that based on the overwhelming response I got from my post yesterday I can only assume that you are all happy that I am back blogging regularly … or that you enjoy these rare glimpses into my brain.  Either way - I’m totally blown away by your responses and I’ll definitely keep both of them up!

On the docket for the day is something I’ve had a lot of people asking me about in my personal circles - Chicago Marathon.  Yes, it still hasn’t quite sunk in that I’m going to start hardcore training for A MARATHON in just a few short weeks, but I’ve definitely been trying to get back into the swing of logging a few miles everyday.  It still feels pretty weird to say, "I'm training for Chicago."  There's so much time between now and October and most people think I'm insane for trying.

If you’re interested in following my progress, calling me crazy, and scoffing at how slow my average pace is right now (I know, I know - you don’t have to tell me!) or how I should be doing more miles right now (I’m trying to build up slowly so I don’t absolutely kill my shins!), you can visit my profile on DailyMile.com.

In a way I guess this whole marathon training thing is related to my post from yesterday - this is my journey, only mine.  I've dealt with some issues related to running, mainly motivational problems, and put on a few pounds after graduating.  Running without my girls is hard, and so is training after a full day of work.  But I’m hoping that diving back in for this marathon will push me even harder back to my running ways.

Another motivating factor for me is my fast-approaching 25th birthday.  At the end of July I will officially be a quarter of a century old.  Not only is that terrifying in itself, it is just one year shy of my older brother’s age when he passed away.  Losing him at 26 just made me think about the time that I have and how I've got to make the most of it.  After realizing that soon I would surpass his age and, in effect, become the oldest child (even though he will always be my big brother) I vowed (Yes, vowed.  Because that makes it seem way more badass.) that I would finish a marathon before I was 26 as a reminder of my own personal drive and to reassure myself that it is never too late to check something off of that giant to-do list that is life.

Workout Gear

That being said - so far my official training doesn't start until the second week of June, but I’m already trying to figure out how I’m going to squeeze my 20 mile run in before C’s cousin’s wedding in August.  Or how I’m going to get to Chicago in October.  Or which half-marathon I want to try to run in order to bump up my corral.  Mostly I get excited, though, especially when I read articles like this one or talk to my friend AK about it (I swear we chat about it almost on a daily basis.  She totally rocked it last year and I'm hoping I can just kind of live in her shadow).  I'm also so excited that my parents said they would come and watch me run.  That means a lot to me too!

So basically right now I'm building a base of miles so that my legs don't totally die once I start pumping up the mileage.  Again - definitely check out my profile on DailyMile and start commenting like crazy if you see that I haven't been logging or running!

1 comment on "Eyes on Chicago"
  1. This is so exciting and also made me tear up a bit (thank you for sharing all the things). Good luck with training! I can't wait to track you online! You will be awesome no matter the time/etc because you're running a freaking marathon and that is way more than most of us will ever do :)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9