A (Summer) Tale of Two Cities

| On
Monday, May 20, 2013
It sure is toasty out there today!  That can only mean that summer has begun and obviously I have needed some serious time to adjust.  While for most people summer is a time of relaxing, going to concerts, and hanging out with friends and family, this summer I’ll be lucky if I can make it to one concert this summer and I might go insane with two graduations, two open houses, three weddings, and a family vacation plus working two jobs in two different cities.

Yes, this summer I am incredibly busy.  I am splitting my time between  Ypsilanti, Michigan and South Bend, Indiana.  In Michigan I have a fabulous part-time job processing donations for a media archive just outside of Detroit, while in South Bend I have an even more fabulous internship working with the Fighting Irish Digital Media department at Notre Dame.  Both of these experiences are incredible and I am so lucky to get to do both of them, despite the fact that they are three hours apart.

Luckily my supervisors in both locations are incredibly flexible and supportive of me pursuing both opportunities, so managing my time between the two has been relatively easy so far.  Granted this is only my second week of splitting, but I think it will be pretty easy.  I work the beginning of the week in Detroit, then pack up and head down to South Bend typically on Tuesday nights and finish the week down there.  Then I’ve got the whole weekend to be with C, visit family, and do whatever I like.  C has been so wonderful throughout the whole planning process, agreeing to let me use the car for the majority of the summer and taking care of the housework when I’m not around.

A (Summer) Tale of Two Cities

The one thing that might get to me, since I'll be doing this weekly routine well into August, is the lost time.  I've got six hours of driving every single week  that is, honestly, possibly the most boring stretch of interstate ever created.  I'm going to look into some audiobooks, though I've always had a hard time retaining anything that I hear.  If I want to understand a complex story, I have to actually read it.  I have been listening to some of my favorite podcasts (Game of Owns, Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast, and Alohomora), but those are only posted so often and sometimes I need a break from my super nerd-dom.

Have you ever split time between two cities?  Got any recommendations for ways to pass the time?  I'd love to hear them in the comments section below!
1 comment on "A (Summer) Tale of Two Cities"
  1. One, your jobs sound awesome, but two, that commute is not so fun!

    From someone who has done a LOT of commuting -- including a 4 hour+ round trip commute EACH DAY for the entirety of last summer for an internship (never move to DC), as well as 2 hour commutes to school for the past 2 years (cough, never move to DC), -- audiobooks are the greatest invention on the planet.

    I usually do not get the ones with really complex stories that I might not know anything about yet (but I did get the newest Wheel of Time series books because that's my favorite series and I could follow easily), and I made the mistake of getting something sad once/twice and crying while driving, which I do not recommend in the slightest.

    BUT! There are so many awesome other things to get. I read Gone With The Wind, a whole bunch of Jane Austen novels, a ton of comedians' books (read by the comedian, which is super), autobiographies read by the author (also awesome), the whole Wicked series, several of the Ender books, and so many others I can't even remember (I was going through a book a week...just being in the car).

    The best place to get these books is the library, as I'm sure you know. I don't know if you have it, but our library here is fantastic and has ILL so we basically could get anything we wanted.

    Back when I lived in North Carolina, E and were doing long distance from a semester and it was exactly 3 hours, and I went down to see him most weekends, so I feel your pain with the 3 hour thing. (At least I was driving through mountains, though.) I have a bluetooth thing for my phone so I used a lot of that time to talk with several friends and my parents. I had a friend rotation :) I also just liked the time to kind of veg out, think without interruption, listen to music, and be by myself, too.

    Good luck!!! Let me know if I can help you out at all...I am no stranger to terrible long commutes! ;)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9