How to Be a Tourist in Your Own City

| On
Saturday, March 30, 2013
When I was in New York I had dinner with my friend Stacie at her apartment.  She asked me what I was planning on doing in the city and I told her that I would probably be going to the Empire State Building.  I was surprised, but maybe not shocked, to hear that she and her roommates hadn't really explored many of the touristy spots of the city.  Sure they've mastered the subway, seen some off-the-beaten-path sights, and successfully found some pretty awesome bars, but does that make up for not seeing some of the major landmarks of the city?

This got me thinking about all of the amazing things in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area that I've wanted to see, but haven't yet.  I know how this happens - life happens.  School or work or family things get in the way and somehow we forget to explore the place that we live.  There just isn't time to be a tourist in your own town.  Well, unless you make time.

The Huron River within the Ann Arbor area. 2010

A friend of mine is moving to the area (Shout-out to my XC love - Julie!) over the summer.  After I did a small dance of celebration (duh!) I started thinking about all the things that she had to do/see in the city: the Big House, Zingerman's, a walk through the Arb, a trip to the top of the bell tower on campus, hanging out in Kerrytown, etc.  It was then that it hit me that out of that list, I had only seen ONE of those things!  I want to change that.  And now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm going to force C and I out of the house every once in a while to see some of the sights of our town.  Expect more posts about the lovely place that I live and hopefully the town will be less strange and more like home to me.
1 comment on "How to Be a Tourist in Your Own City"
  1. [...] And from there I sort of fell off the map, did some reflecting on time investment, and became even more determined to be more of a tourist in my own town. [...]

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9