Help Support A's Adventures

| On
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Dear readers!

As you might have read or heard, this Spring Break I'm doing something a little unorthodox and quite different from the sandy beaches and hot sun that usually come to mind around March and April.  No, I'm avoiding the risk of a wicked sunburn for the excitement of the concrete jungle and a 40-hour work week.  That's right - I'm participating in an Alternative Spring Break program!

The University of Michigan School of Information's Alternative Spring Break program, commonly referred to as ASB, is unlike any other ASB program out there.  Through this program, current students of the School of Information have the opportunity to go out into the world and apply their information management skills at non-profit organizations, government agencies, and educational and cultural institutions in order to help these organizations fulfill their mission and provide better services, often using innovative technologies.

Through this program, I have the opportunity to spend my Spring Break (March 4-8) working with the Paley Center for Media in New York, New York!  I'll be working with the Paley Center Library on a cataloging project which will have me working directly with materials, doing research, logging metadata, and preparing materials for shipment.  Though I will be working a full work-week, I also plan to take full advantage of my time in New York (i.e. visit every art museum!)
A in NYC - 2007

This photo is from the last time I was in NYC - a family trip in May 2007.

In order to support the travel and lodging costs for me and my classmates, I've agreed to raise $500 towards the program's ultimate goal of $30,000.

In order to help me reach my goal of $500, there are a few ways that YOU can help!

  • First, you can make a donation on my Crowdrise site here --> Alana's Crowdrise Page.  All you have to do is click the big red "Donate" button, and you're off!  If you would rather make a donation with a check, please email me at equalpartsofawhole@gmail.com and I can give you further instructions.

  • Secondly, you can share my fundraising site with your friends and family.  Think of the incredible impact we could have if every reader donated just $10!  That would be a lot of New York Cheesecake!

  • And lastly, whether you are able to donate at this time or not, you are welcome to follow my adventures right here!  And on Twitter --> @partsofawhole.  I'll be posting regular updates, photos, and stories of my comings and goings in the Big Apple!  I still haven't decided if I'll be lugging my giant  zombie-proof laptop with me or if I'll bring my old Mac out from retirement to save some space.  Tough call.

If anything is unclear, you have any questions about the program or the project, or you have any excellent suggestions for things to see in NYC, definitely feel free to comment or email me (equalpartsofawhole@gmail.com).

I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity and absolutely cannot wait to work with the Paley Center for Media and experience the lifestyle of working in New York City!

What do you want to see out of me when I'm in NYC?

XOXO

A
2 comments on "Help Support A's Adventures"
  1. [...] Help Support A’s Adventures (equalpartsofawhole.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] since we are done with classes at the end of April.) is next week and as you might have read, I’m off to New York.  I’m hoping that after the break I’ll be able to focus, organize, and do a way better [...]

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9