Travel Tuesday // Romani ite Domum

| On
Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, Essays - First Series: Art


TT - 1.29.13


Where was this photo taken?
This picture is a total throwback from my sophomore year of college.  (Check out my hair!  Yikes!)  DePauw has this wonderful tradition called Winter Term where, in the month of January you either take a single class for the three weeks or you can go on organized adventures to lots of different places.  During my time we were required to stay on campus for your freshman Winter term, so I was absolutely thrilled to get to choose a wild trip to go on for my sophomore year.  I juggled several trips, deciding to completely ignore anything to Europe simply because I was planning on studying abroad somewhere over there and wanted it to remain somewhat of a mystery.  I chose to go on a trip that toured the entire country of Tunisia, starting in Tunis and heading south and in-land before turning back north to travel along the coast.  Tunisia has a really interesting history and is the location of the ancient city of Carthage, which is why I was originally interested.  This image, however, is from our return journey north in a large resort town called Monastir.  The location I'm in is the Ribat in Monastir which has actually been featured in several films including the infamous Latin lesson in Monty Python's The Life of Brian.  And yes, that is a henna tattoo on my hand...that would later become disgusting and infected and didn't properly heal for over a month.  Several of us were afflicted with such illnesses.

Who were you with?
I was with a group of about thirty students ranging in age and background from DePauw.  Everyone got along really well and that definitely made it an incredible trip.  I spent most of my time hanging out with M and H (they always seem to be on adventures with me!) and a fellow XC runner, J.  We had a blast and made so many memories that I'm sure will come up in later posts.  To name a few - the Persian baths, shopping in the medina, coffee in Sidi Bou Said, food poisoning, camel rides in the Sahara desert, learning a few words in Arabic, and our memorable dinner at "Arabian Times."

TT -1.29.13 - 2 

Why was this moment so important to capture?
My trip to Tunisia was incredible.  Tunisia has been in the news a lot recently, and not for good reasons.  I'm so thankful that I got to see such amazing sights and be with such wonderful people while I had the chance.  I strongly believe that my Winter Term trip helped to shape the rest of my experience at DePauw and continues to impact my life even today.  And, how gorgeous is that water?  You can hardly tell where the sky meets the sea!
1 comment on "Travel Tuesday // Romani ite Domum"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9