A serious case of the Mondays.

| On
Monday, November 26, 2012
Wow.

I always knew coming back from a long vacation was kind of awful, but during all those years at DePauw I never experienced a Monday quite as awful as this one.

I had a group meeting at 8:30 AM, meaning I had to wake up around 6:30 and hop on the early bus into town.  Five minutes into my ride, I knew it was going to be an awful day. I dug around in my back, fearing that I had forgotten something incredibly important.  I texted C, who was still home, and he confirmed the worst - I had accidentally left my computer charger at home.  I was too far gone to go back.  So I stayed on the bus, knowing I'd have to ride back to Ypsi between my meeting and my afternoon class.

It was at this point that I stopped myself.  I knew it was going to be a rough day, but thinking so negatively about it wasn't going to change anything.  So I got myself a giant vanilla latte ($1 off with a coupon!) and headed into my meeting, making a plan to take advantage of my day.

Instead of brooding during my extra bus ride back and forth to town, I listened to an episode of one of my favorite podcasts, Alohomora, and indulged in some Harry-Potter-nerding-out.  Instead of worrying about wasting time when I was home, I enjoyed a hot bowl of soup and watched an episode of Underemployed.  Then I headed back into town for a productive rest of the day.

Even though today was hard, I learned a valuable lesson about just how much a positive attitude can change everything.  I came home, watched a Christmas movie with C, and enjoyed the rest of my night not worried about what happened before.

Positive attitudes for the rest of the week!
4 comments on "A serious case of the Mondays."
  1. Wow! It would be hard for me to look at it positively, especially when I know i would have to waste so much time travelling up and down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! The time lost traveling is really starting to get to me. Reading, listening to podcasts, or catching up with blog brainstorming are usually how I like to spend my commute. It can be rough sometimes, but I try to make the best of it.

    XOXO
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Make a good day" - a great reminder that you're in charge of how you deal with life's minor annoyances.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9